It's also NATIONAL GRAMMAR DAY, March forth, er, fourth. I know you're excited.
Some Grammar Day comics for you:
Take this quiz, courtesy of the Grammar Girl website. See how you do.
Correct the Celebrity1. Which album title has the spelling error?
a. “Dutchess,” by Fergie
b. “Growing Pains” by Mary J. Blige
c. “Graduation” by Kanye West
d. None of the above
2. What’s wrong with this lyric by Justin Timberlake? “When you cheated girl, My heart bleeded girl.”
a. It’s perfect as it is. Leave Justin alone!
b. “Bleeded” is not a word. “Bled” is.
c. There should be commas before and after “girl”
d. Both b and c are correct.
3. Circle the errors Paris Hilton made blogging about her new shoe collection.
(Hint: there are at least three!)
“Don’t worry, if you arent in Orange County, you can also get the shoes at Kitson, Zappos.com,
Endless.com, Bakers, Lord & Taylor and select specialty boutiques across the counrty”
4. Correct the following movie titles:
a. How She Move
b. The Pursuit of Happyness
c. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
d. The 40 Year Old Virgin
5. Circle the error in this statement by Christina Aguilera:
Today is a very joyful and special day for Jordan and I as we welcome our first son into this world.
6. What’s wrong with this David Hasselhoff quote?
“I am also doing a heart-rendering set on my life and the mistakes I have made.”
a. There should be a comma after life.
b. “heart-rendering” doesn’t need a hyphen.
c. “heart-rendering” should be “heart-rending”
d. The sentence is fine as is.
7. One of Jessica Simpson’s boyfriends dumped her via text message. The related headline
contains an error. What is it?
Jessica Dumped in 118 Characters or Less
© 2008 SPOGG
Answer key forthcoming tomorrow.
What's your favorite grammar error?