Skip to main content

Reading makes you sexier, and a free book for June

Summer Solstice was yesterday and the weather here in the Wasatch mountains is finally not cool or wet. Which reminded me that my favorite thing about summer is books. Which are also my favorite thing about spring. And winter. And fall. But especially summer, because you can read what you feel like (instead of what your teacher tells you) and you can read in the grass, or in the tree-house, or up the mountain, or on the beach, or at the pool...

And I've read some great books this year, so I have some recommendations for all y'all's summer reading lists. In fact, I think it's time for a freebie.
I've been enjoying steam punk lately. Maybe you've read Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld? And the sequel, Behemoth. If you haven't, you're missing a fabulous series. Although just when you're really getting into the story, you'll realize it's not done, and the next book doesn't come out until fall. How rude.

The world of Leviathan is an alternate WWI setting, where countries with technology based on engineered beasts pit themselves against the Star-Warsesque machines of their enemies. Westerfeld has a lot of fun playing with the two super-techno cultures, but my favorite part (of course) are the characters: Alek, prince on the run, and Deryn, a girl posing as the boy of all boys, one of the best soldiers in the Darwinist forces, whom everyone admires, but is always a misstep away from exposure.

As Alek and Deryn become friends, Alek thinks Deryn is the boy he's always wanted to be, while Deryn finds herself falling for Alek, a romance that can't happen. And we don't even get to know how it all turns out, because the next book isn't yet published. My twelve-year-old son loves the action, and he especially likes Alek; I like the great story and, yes, the romantic tension that is subtle enough for boys. Can't wait for the release of Goliath, the sequel, which comes out September 20th of this year.

Meanwhile, I'm offering Leviathan for my June blog book-giveaway.To enter the drawing for your free copy, same rules as usual apply:

1) Follow my blog. If you already follow, you're good.
2) Leave a comment here, letting me know you follow and want to enter.
3) Do 1 and 2 by midnight, June 26th.

That's all. Follow, comment, do it on time.

Or you can just head to the library or the bookstore pick up a copy right now and not have to wait. Except if you're like me even the library won't be free because can I return a book on time? No, I cannot. I find it's cheaper to buy books in the first place. And then they are new. And then you don't have to feel guilty when you don't bring them back. Cheapest of all is to enter my drawing and win one.


Whatever you do, grab lots of books this summer and read them. New evidence shows that reading can make you skinnier. We already knew reading makes you smarter. It probably makes you prettier. Stronger. Sexier. And it's fun.

Take off your shoes. Lie in the grass. Ahh...

**********************************************************************************

And if you're interested, a few more ideas for great reads:

*The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte. Who reads Anne Bronte? I hadn't. I really enjoyed this, although it was sometimes a tiny bit too preachy. Considered scandalous in her day.

*Snow White and Rose Red, Patricia Wrede. The sort-of-steam-punk/Renaissance version of one of my favorite fairy tales. Lots of fun.

*Thirteenth Child, Patricia Wrede. More ultra-creative steam-punk.

*Rick Riordan's latest: The Lost Hero (more Percy Jackson's world, but with new lovable characters), and The Throne of Fire (sequel to Red Pyramid). My kid likes this second series better than Percy.

*If you like dystopian stuff, Matched, by Ally Condie is one of the best. Beautifully written.

*Dragon Slippers (and sequels), and Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, Jessica Day George. I didn't like the covers for her Dragon books, so I never got around to trying them until this year, after I heard her at a conference and she was one of my favorite speakers. Really fun, for middle-grade and younger YA readers.

*Each Little Bird That Sings, Deborah Wiles. Again, for middle-graders. Ruby Lavender by her was my daughter's favorite for years and is lovely, too. She has a mesmerizing style and the character development is always wonderful. I liked Aurora County All-stars, as well.

Comments

  1. You know, I just barely picked up Leviathan. It was awesome! I picked up the sequel from the library yesterday. Of your list, I've read all but two, so I'll pick them up again. I would love a copy of Leviathan. Such an awesome Steam Punk. I didn't think I would like it, and I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pick me :) (do I always say that?...)
    I'll share it on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a follower and I'd like to enter. :)

    I love most of the books you recommend, but there's a few I haven't read that I'll have to try. Thanks for the suggestions! (Also, in case you didn't know, the sequel to Thirteenth Child comes out at the beginning of August. I love Patricia Wrede and I'm so excited!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow and I want to enter :) Thanks for the reading suggestions. They sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Pi: So glad you liked Leviathan! Too bad I'm not offering one you haven't read yet, but it's worth rereading, hey? I'll enter you.

    Gaylene: You're entered! Thanks for always promoting my giveaways. Of course, if you didn't, you might win more books....Did I say that? No, I didn't.

    Jenilyn: They're great books, huh? But maybe I should have made my list longer since everyone seems to have read most of them already. And yay for sequels to books we love! Can't wait for that sequel either. So many good books coming out in the fall :) I'll enter you in the drawing.

    Hi, Kim! It feels like forever since I last saw you. I will enter you in the book drawing. Yes, you should read them all! Hope you and your babies are doing well and that you're squeezing in a little writing time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendations! I just reread the last half of Harry Potter 7 in preparation for the movie. I forgot how good it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyosha: Yes, what a perfect ending. So satisfying. Harry Potter marathons are happening at our house, too. My kids are furious that we will be on vacation for the midnight showing, think we should reschedule, since ALL of their friends are going. It feels like I'm saying no to the only pilgrimage to Canterbury or something. Their dad rolls his eyes, but I sympathize. I mean, it's good-bye to Harry Potter forever...wanh!

    Anyway, happy reading! Yes, there are other good books out there:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we already have our tickets to the midnight showing here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! No fair excluding Fiji and Brazil! I want to read your books too, even though it's winter here and not summer. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adri: Fiji and Brazil are so included! And no complaining--you had summer all during our miserable winter and your winter isn't really winter anyway, you know...I guess you're still allowed to read. I'll even enter into my drawing. And I owe you an email very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. me, me, me....I'm glad you are still alive

    ReplyDelete
  12. Late to the party, but in before the doors close--so to speak. Add me to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment